School Events: Enterprise Market & HPV
As part of our Economics curriculum in Grade 5/6, students will be involved in an Enterprise Learning Program. Enterprise Market is an excellent program to develop a range of life-long skills:
- Distinguish between goods and services, as well as needs and wants
- Understand how to be an informed consumer
- Gain an understanding of personal money management and the role of banking, budgeting, profit/loss and saving
- The ability to work in a team and improve communication skills
- Time management
- Willingness to take responsibility and show initiative
Students work in small groups to develop a ‘Small Business’ idea.
All goods and services made and produced by students over will be for sale at an ‘Enterprise Market’ usually on the same afternoon as the Christmas Carols.
Money raised will go towards;
- Full cost of the grade 6 Big Day Out (final day excursion of that year)
- Part cost of the Grade Six Jackets for the following year (the remainder of the jacket costs will be paid by parents, which will be dependent on the amount raised at the Enterprise Market and the number of students in Grade 6)
|2022 ENTERPRISE MARKET|
|BIG DAY OUT (GUMBUYA WORLD)||-$1430.91|
|SUBSIDISED GRADE 6 GRADUATION 2023||-$783.09|
Human Powered Vehicles
Gembrook Primary School participates in the RACV Energy Breakthrough Human Powered Vehicles (HPV) competition each year.
The competition challenges students, teachers, parents and local industry to work together to design and construct a vehicle, machine or innovation in technology that represents an ‘energy breakthrough’.
Gembrook Primary School has prior to 2020 competed in events at Wonthaggi in March and the event at Maryborough in November. The Covid19 pandemic has resulted in these events being cancelled in 2020 and 2021. The Grade 5 & 6 students have participated in a car park event at school to provide some experience of riding the vehichles.
At Maryborough approximately 10,000 spectators turn out to see 170 schools and more than 6000 people, including students, teachers and parents, compete in the categories of human powered vehicles, hybrid vehicles, single power source, try-athalon and push cart.
At Maryborough Gembrook Primary School enters two teams of eight competing throughout Friday and Saturday in the 14-hour track event. The students prepare a participate in vehicle scrutineering, they give a presentation on sustainability and compete in an endurance race.
This event is truly a team event and it sees parents, teachers and students working together to ensure the vehicles are compliant with all scrutineering requirements, students are prepared for their presentations and are race ready, and of course fundraising to ensure the program is sustainable. We look forward to the resumption of the event.
Toastmasters Youth Leadership Program
The Toastmasters Youth Leadership Program is a workshop consisting of nine two-hour sessions during that enable our students to develop communication and leadership skills through practical experience. The program is presented during the school day for grade 6 students. Students learn to:
- Evaluate present speaking ability
- Organize and give speeches
- Give impromptu talks
- Control voice, vocabulary and gestures
- Give constructive feedback and more
The program culminates in a speech evening which is attended by families.
There is no doubt that the ability to speak well and confidently in front of others is such a great life skill, and we are very fortunate to have dedicated members of Emerald Toastmasters, Wayne and Aileen A’Vard, facilitating this program.